28 January 2008

Reading rather than sleeping


I couldn't help deprive myself of just a little more sleep when I read this in the NY times today:
"The United States Department of Agriculture in December revised W.I.C. to include monthly subsidies for fruits and vegetables. States will begin implementing the new rules in February."
In a related article I read this:
"...healthy foods are becoming more and more expensive. Vegetables and fruits are rapidly becoming luxury goods.”
Why in 2008 is the US govt. just now including subsidies for fruits and vegetables? And why are our local farmers barely getting by, if they're lucky?

The good news I read today; The wonder bulb garlic helps prevent cancer, heart disease and promotes lower cholesterol. So I'll keep sneaking as much garlic as I can into my hummus and keep breathing and sweating it too. What I didn't know was, "To maximize the health benefits, you should crush the garlic at room temperature and allow it to sit for about 15 minutes. That triggers an enzyme reaction that boosts the healthy compounds in garlic."

In closing Ladies and Gentlemen start your seedlings! Plant those cloves! And join your CSA for spring is on its way. Now I can sleep...