23 October 2008

Didi Emmons is my hero

For those of you who don't know who Didi is you should. Not only did she open Veggie Planet in Harvard Square where garlic is god. But she now runs The Haley House Cafe in Dudley Square. Where she has "healthified" the neighborhood. I was lucky enough to learn a thing or two from Didi as I ventured to the other side of the river for "Labors of Love" a wine & vegetarian cooking class. She talked about autumn olives, how she lost her wallet in the orchard, all while cooking, instructing a staff of 3 and showing us how to make a killer 3 course meal. It was a delicious blurr. Course that could have been the faboo wines that were complementing each flavor. Loving my wine as I do I learned that vegan wine isn't filtered through egg whites as most wines are. Also most european wines from the smaller vineyards are organic. It's how they've been growing for centuries. And it has been how i've gotten through this election season. I digress. If you glance at "edible boston" this season pick it up. Didi's cover article is featured along with Gilesa, one of the students life she is changing by teaching them that healthy can taste good. Check it out; the article, the cafe & the planet. Thanks Didi for all you do!